Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Choices...

The 4 year old strikes again...As he devours his cheese quesadilla, he looks up at me and says...

"I'm gonna give myself a wedgie." (Seriously...I couldn't make this up if I tried to) So, as any parent would do I asked the question..."What did you just say?"

He proceeds with the most sincere look he can offer as he clears things up, at least from his point of view..."Remember, how those guys on TV did that."

Figuring that I have just been bumped out of the running for parent of the year, I try to rescue this conversation with logic...

"You shouldn't do that because it would hurt."

He doesn't skip a beat...

"I'll be gentle."

OK...after you pick yourself up off the floor laughing at how badly this dialogue is going for me at this point, I want you to shift gears a little.

Why in the world do we consider doing something just because someone else got "a reaction" by doing it?...and how do we manage to convince ourselves that being "gentle" will make it not hurt so bad?

Bottom line...sometimes a dumb idea is a dumb idea.

I'm sure we have all made a wedgie of a decision from time to time...but here is to hoping this little reminder encourages us to remember that standing out doesn't have to be synonymous with lack of good judgment.


With Expectancy,

The Zuke

2 comments:

  1. Lots of Wedgie decisions in the IFL

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt...it looks like we may have just coined a new phrase.

    The question becomes...How do we avoid them?

    ReplyDelete